- Viking KB-3 Mary Washington Asparagus Plants
- Productive for 15 or more years.
- Asparagus will keep for 1 to 2 weeks with little loss of quality.
- Asparagus is very perishable and should be harvested in the morning when air temperatures are cool.
- 2 yr old roots Quantity 100
Select open pollinated variety developed over many years of field trials. A hand-selected & improved strain of Mary Washington variety. Asparagus is a long-lived perennial vegetable crop that is enjoyed by many gardeners. It can be productive for 15 or more years if given proper care. Harvest asparagus by snapping 7 to 9 inch spears with tight tips. There is no need to cut asparagus below the soil with a knife. This may injure other buds on the crown that will send up new spears. The small stub that is left in the soil after snapping, dries up and disintegrates. A new spear does not come up at the same spot, but comes up from another bud that enlarges on another part of the crown. Asparagus is very perishable and should be harvested in the morning when air temperatures are cool. After picking, immerse the spears in ice-cold water to remove the heat; then drain the water and place the spears in plastic bags. Store in the refrigerator at 38 to 40 degrees F. Asparagus will keep for 1 to 2 weeks with little loss of quality.